Shelter Reconstruction Kicks Off In Solai, Nakuru County
Residents of Solai can now breathe a sigh of relief following the commissioning of the shelter reconstruction programme targeting families that were affected by the dam burst early in the year. The construction of new houses is led by the National government, County Government of Nakuru and the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS).
The groundbreaking ceremony took place on the 20th of November 2018 at the Nyakinyua Primary School Grounds and was graced by the Governor of Nakuru County, Hon. Lee Kinyanjui and the Secretary General of the KRCS, Dr. Abbas Gullet. It also saw the attendance of the area member of parliament and county assembly, the regional and county commissioner among other government officials.
Speaking during the event, the KRCS Head of Water and Sanitation, Eng. Sylvester Bett noted that the project targets 37 houses that had been affected by the floods.
“We are working with the County Government of Nakuru which has proposed the design of the structures. The houses are permanent two bedroomed houses with an external kitchen shed and a latrine,” Eng. Bett noted.
The residents were also delighted to witness the commissioning of Nyakinyua Water Supply System, which had been rehabilitated by KRCS through the same project following a request by the community members. The system that had not been operational for the last ten years will serve approximately 10,000 people, including a nearby health facility.
The governor who lay a foundation stone to mark the beginning of construction asked for close collaboration between the county government and the community towards the recovery of the community.
“Despite the losses witnessed following the incident, we are glad to be here with the Kenya Red Cross Society to build houses for those who lost their homes. We are also working with other organizations to support more members of the community in other ways,” Hon. Kinyanjui said.
KRCS was part of the larger multi-agency response team that had been part of the search, rescue and recovery efforts during the Solai tragedy. Through funding from the National Government, it has been able to support families that were affected by 2018 floods.
“As an institution, we were present during the disaster to offer immediate support to those who were affected and have been here to date. We are now offering long-term support by building shelter for 37 families, a process that should be complete within 60 days. We hope that however small this support is, it will offer solace to the families that were affected,” said Dr. Abbas Gullet, Secretary General, Kenya Red Cross.
Approximately 500 households were displaced and 44 deaths reported by the National Government when a dam burst its banks in Solai, Nakuru on Wednesday, 9 May 2018 severely affecting two villages namely Energy and Nyakinyua.