The Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) hosted its annual Volunteer Awards on 8th December, 2018 at the Boma Hotel grounds. These awards honor and recognize individuals (Red Cross and None Red Cross), groups, institutions, media houses and organizations for outstanding volunteer service and acts of great contribution to the society towards the cause of the Red Cross Movement. It also recognized individuals and institutions that have demonstrated leadership and commitment to promoting volunteerism.
The selection of the winners was done through a process where volunteers from across the region apply to be considered for the awards and are thereafter vetted by the judges who select the winners. The judges for the awards included Olive Gachara (Entrepreneur and judge on KCB Lion’s Den), Juliani (Top selling musician and entrepreneur), Robert Burale (MC and Image consultant) and Emily Kirisop from the ministry of labor.
The awards and their respective winners were;
- A. MOLU LIFE ACHIEVEMNTS AWARDS - Khairoonissa A.A.Molu – Mombasa
- MICHAEL SULULU VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARDS - Ifrah Aden Shidow – Garissa
- SPECIAL RECOGNITION AWARDS - Johnstone Ipara and Masalani Attack team Daniel Jillo, Mohammed Abdulkadir,Ifrah Aden & Abdirahman Muktar.
- YOUTH VOLUNTEER OF THE YEAR AWARD - Mohamed Rafik Rauf - Mombasa
- UNIVERSITY CHAPTER AWARD - Technical University of Mombasa
- CORPORATE SECTOR HUMANITARIAN WARD - Eastern Produce of Kenya, Mafuko Industries Ltd, Habiba Bank, CDMC Miritini, Twin Breeze Hotel
- BRANCH OF THE YEAR AWARDS 2018 - Murang’a Branch
- COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS - Kevin Nyarindo Mokora – Taita Taveta and County Government First Ladies
- JUNIOR RED CROSS OF THE YEAR AWARD - Green Valle School – Uasin Gichu
- INCLUSION AWARDS - Jomo Kenyatta Home for the children with Physical disabilities
- IMPLEMENTING PARTNER OF THE YEAR AWARD - Nemwel B. Oyaro - Community Health Volunteer and Mwanahamisi Ali – Peer Educator
The awards also provided an opportunity for volunteers from different branches to network and get to know each other as they work to help Kenya Red Cross achieve its mandate as the leading humanitarian organization in the country. Volunteers from all 47 counties in Kenya were in attendance.
Among the distinguished guests in attendance were the KRCS Governor Dr. Mohamud Said, Mvita MP Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir, Norwegian Ambassador to Kenya H.E Ms. Elin Bergithe Rognlie, and Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinett among other dignitaries.