CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: THE YOUTH DELEGATE EXCHANGE PROGRAMME 2020 -2021
*Please note that this advertisement concerns applications for the Youth Basic Training Course (YBTC). You must first complete YBTC in April 2020 before you then apply to become a Youth Delegate from August 2020.*
The Youth Delegates Exchange Programme (YDEP) is a youth exchange programme for members/volunteers in the Kenya Red Cross (KRCS) between the ages of 21 and 28. Young adults with a minimum of 1 year experience as KRCS volunteers may apply to work as Youth Delegates in Norwegian Red Cross (NorCross). The exchange is in collaboration with the Norwegian Agency for Exchange Cooperation (NOREC).
From August 2020 to June 2021, Youth Delegates will travel to either Norwegian Red Cross where they will support and strengthen the work of young Red Cross volunteers and learn more about the international work of the Red Cross Movement.
We are now calling for applicants who are interested in working as Youth Delegates in Norway. The application process is two-fold. First, one applies to attend the obligatory Youth Basic Training Course (YBTC), a Red Cross preparatory course for all potential Youth Delegates. Participants who have completed the whole YBTC will then be invited to apply for the position of Youth Delegate.
A year as a Youth Delegates is an opportunity to develop a wide range of personal and professional skills, including cultural awareness, volunteer development, leadership, communication, facilitation, planning, evaluation and reporting. We are looking for candidates with diverse backgrounds in terms of volunteer background, education, work experience and age. Personal qualities, cultural adaptability and ability to work effectively with young volunteers will be emphasized in the selection process.
The contract will commence on 10th August 2020, beginning with a 4-week obligatory Pre-Departure preparatory course in Oslo, Norway, followed by the mission at a NorCross District from 7th September 2020 to 21st May 2021. Before return there is an obligatory end of mission debrief seminar in Oslo from 7th to 11th June 2021 and a contracted 2 months of follow up work with Kenya Red Cross. Follow up work is agreed upon individually and must be completed within 2021. One can apply for YBTC even if one plans to apply as a Youth Delegate in the future rather than for this round of exchange. Having completed YBTC one will be eligible to apply for the position as Youth Delegate until one turns 28 years.
We are looking for applicants that meet the following requirements:
- Between 21 and 28 years by the time of commencement of mission in April 2020 (Born between January 1992 and December 1998).
- Kenya Citizen
- Must hold a valid Kenyan e-passport (attach a copy of the biodata page)
- Valid Police Clearance Certificate (Must – validity is one year from date of issuance)
- Minimum two-year experience as a volunteer in Kenya Red Cross with bias towards youth programming.
- Good physical and mental health (medical examination will be required)
- Good level of written and verbal knowledge in English, as this is the working language in the programme.
- Motivated to work closely with youth Red Cross volunteers from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Interested in working with youth empowerment using participatory methodologies.
- Able to adapt to working and living in a different culture.
- Ready to live and work with a co-delegate from the same country during the mission.
- Available to participate at the obligatory YBTC from 2nd – 5th of April 2020 at Sundvolden hotel. (NorCross will cover food, accommodation and travel costs from within Norway).
- Available for contract period from 10th August 2020 to 9th August 2021.
- If successful, willing to work and live in Norway and away from Kenya for nine (9) months.
Areas of work and tasks for Youth Delegates:
- Supporting on-going youth activities in the Norwegian Red Cross.
- Facilitating Organisational capacity assessment and designing capacity development interventions.
- Developing, organizing and facilitating capacity building trainings and workshops for young volunteers.
- Strengthening youth structures and promoting youth participation in decision-making processes in the Red Cross Partner National Societies.
- Training and dissemination of Red Cross Principles and other Red Cross knowledge.
- Information work and blogging about the everyday life and work as a Youth Delegate.
- Sharing own experiences as Youth Delegates to Red Cross Youth and Red Cross districts and local chapters and youth groups in Norway.
- Contribute to strengthening financial resource bases for Red Cross youth activities.
- Contribute to ensuring continuous and sustainable Red Cross youth activities.
- Sharing information on Kenyan and African culture.
We shall offer our Youth Delegates:
- Interesting work experience within the biggest International Humanitarian Movement in the world
- Meaningful and rewarding working tasks during 9 months in the field in Norway.
- Training specially designed for the programme, prior to departure. Additionally, Youth Delegates receive informal mentorship from previous Youth Delegates, Programme coordinators, Norwegian Red Cross staff.
- The opportunity to work for the KRCS either at the National Office or in one of the during 2 months of follow up work.
- Accommodation, travel and expenses connected to visa/vaccination.
- Living allowances during the contract period.
You can also follow the current Youth Delegates on their blogs on: www.ydep.no
Application deadline: 26th February 2020